Sunday, January 27, 2013

Courage

         Courage. The Cowardly Lion in the classic tale of Wizard of Oz defines courage. From the different definitions that I've read, it was much needed that I come up with my own meaning for the word. The power to hold one's ground and render the dreams and spirits each soul contains. I understand how this may not make any sense to some people but the word means different things to different people. I believe that courage defines the steps taken to stand up to a person, no matter how scary they or the situation may seem. Take the Cowardly Lion as an example. He found that even the worst enemies have fears and he used this to take down the wicked witch. How ironic that a lion is cowardly. When I think of this animal, I think of a strong and prideful beast in which doesn't fear much of anything.
       Winston Churchill once said "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." To me, this means that we all know it takes courage to stand up to someone but what we often don't realize is that it many times takes a hell of a lot more to sit down and remain silent.

No comments:

Post a Comment