Monday, April 9, 2012

A shoutout to my family

        Unfortunately, my situation has taken a huge toll not only on my parents, but my two brothers as well. At first we were all able to handle the things thrown at us. Having Celiac disease was a big life changer for me and my family as they were trying their hardest to be careful around food I couldn’t eat. You would be surprised how many things have gluten in them and how badly you just want to eat a whole Domino's pizza!
        A couple months past and we were getting a handle on things, especially with it being summer and school wasn’t a factor. However, depression and cutting came next and it was a huge shock to my family. I used to listen in on my parent’s trying to determine what the next step was for me. Before they could even comprehend and come to terms with the fact that I was hurting myself, the restricting food started. For about two months they had no knowledge of this because they were mostly focused on the cutting. One day my mom had found a paper stating what I would eat and the calories I would take in and burn for the week. Then, they knew I had an eating disorder. My mom has probably hit the worst of things as she was diagnosed with depression soon after I got into treatment. We have had our fights and cries over my life yes, but we have also rejoiced in the slow but sure progress I have been making. I hate to be a burden to my family and cause so much pain, but I know I would be there for them if something like this happened. I could not be more grateful for the efforts they have put into helping me fight this nasty disease. So this is just a thank you to them and to my friends and others who have been a strong foothold for me. Things will get better and they will get easier. I have to believe that. You all have given me the strength to believe in myself and I wanted you to know how much you mean to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment